11 tips to fix iPhone volume buttons not working issue (2022)
Before we go through the solutions to fix iPhone volume button stuck or not working, let’s first take a quick look at the possible causes! Then we have listed the 11 best tips and workarounds for this common iPhone problem.
What could cause the iPhone volume buttons to stop working?
Even if a hardware failure is the first thing that springs to mind when the iPhone volume buttons stop responding or stop working, you shouldn’t go to a service center right away. Things like a build-up of dust, the pronounced but unresponsive buttons on your case, a rare software bug, or an outdated version of the software can also cause the problem. Therefore, we will investigate every possible cause and try appropriate solutions.
Along the way, we’re also going to talk about some reliable workarounds that can help you control the volume on your iPhone without having to use the physical volume buttons. Take a look at the following possible fixes for the iPhone volume button issue at hand:
iPhone volume buttons not working? How to fix!
1. Make sure that the volume buttons on your iPhone are activated
- Go to Settings -> Sound & Haptics and make sure that “Switch with buttons”Toggle switch is activated.
2. Remove your iPhone case
Don’t believe it, there are several cases (especially the cheaper and sturdier ones) that lack tactile buttons. So, if you have a case installed on your iPhone, remove it and press the volume buttons to see if it works or not. If the volume buttons are working just fine, your case was the culprit, not your iPhone hardware. If you’re looking to buy a case with responsive buttons, we recommend checking out our roundups of the best iPhone 13 cases, iPhone 13 Pro cases, and iPhone 13 Pro Max cases.
3. Clean the volume buttons
It’s easy to miss the presence of dust or dirt that doesn’t miss a chance to sneak into ports and holes. If the volume buttons are stiff or stuck, there is a high possibility that dust / dirt is causing the volume buttons to not respond. You can use compressed air to blow the dust off the volume buttons. We also recommend you Dip a cotton swab in isopropyl alcohol and use it to gently clean the volume buttons.
4. Hard reset your iPhone
A hard reset (also known as a force restart) comes into play when it comes to common iOS 15 issues. Because of its ability to quickly fix multiple issues, it is considered a troubleshooting method by most of the iPhone users. So we should try not to solve the iPhone volume button problem.
- On iPhone 8 or later: Press the volume up key. Then quickly press the volume down button. Now hold down the power button until your iPhone screen goes black and the Apple logo shows up.
- On the iPhone 7/7 Plus: Press and hold the Volume down button and the Power button at the same time until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
- On iPhone 6s or earlier: Press and hold the home button and the power button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
After restarting your iPhone, check that the volume buttons are working normally and that you have resolved the problem.
5. Reset all settings
If your iPhone volume buttons still don’t work, try resetting your iPhone to factory settings. Note that all existing settings on your iOS device will be erased and returned to their original state. However, your personal media and data remain secure.
- On iOS 15 and higher: Go to Settings -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset All Settings.
- On iOS 14 or earlier: Navigate to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings.
6. Use AssistiveTouch to adjust the volume on the iPhone
While this isn’t a solution to fixing the volume buttons, you can use AssistiveTouch to easily adjust the volume on your iPhone. So, if the volume buttons are not working on your iPhone, AssistiveTouch could be a good solution to your problem.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone -> Accessibility -> Touch -> AssistiveTouch and switch on the “AssistiveTouch“Switching.
- Then select in the section “Custom Actions” the option “Single tap“and choose”Increase volume“. Then select “Double tap“and choose”Volume down“.
You can now adjust the volume on your iPhone with quick tap gestures. Just tap the AssistiveTouch icon once to increase the volume. Double tap the icon to decrease the volume. So practical, isn’t it?
Alternatively, select “Single tap“and choose Open menu. Then tap on the AssistiveTouch symbol -> Device and tap on the Volume up / down button to adjust the audio output when the volume buttons on your iPhone stop working.
7. Use Control Center to adjust the volume
Another reliable alternative that you should try to adjust the volume on your iPhone with ease is the volume slider built into the control center. It’s pretty neat, and you can use the volume slider to turn the sound up / down.
- On the iPhone without a home button: Swipe down from the top right corner of the screen to bring up Control Center.
- On the iPhone with the home button: Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access Control Center. Then use the volume slider to optimize the volume.
8. Adjust the volume directly from specific apps
Most of the audio and streaming apps on iPhone have a dedicated volume control that you can use to adjust the volume as desired. So if you’re using apps like Spotify or the Apple Podcasts app, look for the dedicated volume control and use it to adjust the volume instead of using the physical buttons.
9. Update software
Outdated software is often responsible for various problems on iPhone that are difficult to explain. So, if the problem has not yet been resolved, try updating the software (and learn how long it will take to download the iOS 15 update here). As mentioned above, the problem with the volume buttons not working may be due to a rare software glitch. So, follow these steps to update the software:
- Make sure your device has at least 50% battery and is connected to a stable internet connection. Open the Settings app on your iPhone and navigate to General -> Software update.
- Once your device has checked for available updates, it will give you the option to download and install the latest iOS update.
10. Erase your iPhone and restore it from backup
If you are faced with a persistent problem that basic tips cannot solve, this nuclear solution should be tried – Erase and Recover. It will erase your iPhone and give you the option to either set it up as new or restore it from a previous backup. But before you even think about trying this radical solution, make sure that you have fully backed up your iPhone.
IOS 15 or later gives you free iCloud temporary unlimited storage that you can use to back up your device to the cloud and restore it later. If your device is running the latest version of iOS, follow the linked instructions to get free iCloud storage.
- If you have enough iCloud storage, go to Settings -> Apple ID Banner -> iCloud -> iCloud Backup -> Back Up Now for a quick backup of your iPhone. After that, go to Settings -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings.
- After your device has been erased, follow the setup wizard to set up your iOS device. During the setup process, your iPhone gives you the option to restore your device from the iCloud backup.
- As always, you can use Finder / iTunes to safely backup and restore your device. Just connect your iPhone to the computer with a USB cable, open Finder / iTunes and back up the device. After the backup, click on “Restore Backup“And select the latest backup.
11. Contact Apple Support
None of the above solutions worked to fix the volume buttons issue on your iPhone? If the volume buttons on your iOS device are still not responding, there may be a hardware problem. It would be a good idea to contact Apple Support immediately to resolve the issue. Some hardware components may be defective or damaged, so timely hardware repair will help you fix the problem.
[Fixed] iPhone volume buttons not working? Best solutions!
Hopefully the volume buttons on your iOS device will work again and you can easily adjust the volume. Often times, the basic tips, including a hard reset, can help you solve the problem. You should also always make sure that the buttons on your case are responsive and that there is no accumulation of dirt in the volume buttons that could impair their function. By the way, share with us the trick that helped you fix the badly working volume buttons. And if this guide is missing any trustworthy solutions, let us know in the comment section below.