Stream Netflix on Discord (2021)
Before you ask, how to stream Netflix on Discord mobile apps? Let me say it from the beginning. You can’t stream Netflix on the Discord mobile apps, including iOS and Android, due to DRM limitations. However, you can easily share your screen on Discord mobile. And if Netflix isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, you can throw a Spotify listening party on Discord as well. With that said, this is how you can watch Netflix movies and TV shows with your friends on Discord.
Note: While this article focuses on Netflix, you can follow these steps to stream your favourite TV shows and movies through any of the popular streaming services such as Amazon Prime Video and Disney + Hotstar.
1. Download the Discord app
If you’ve been using Discord via the web version like I have, you’ll need to download the Discord app first. You can download the application from the official Web site. Once you’ve downloaded the app, log in by scanning a QR code from the mobile app or using your Discord credentials.
2. Turn off hardware acceleration – Fix black screen issue for streaming Netflix on Discord
Now one of the most common problems people encounter when trying to stream Netflix on Discord is a black screen. So if you’re wondering how to get rid of the black screen when streaming on Discord or how to stream Netflix without the black screen. Well, we’ve got you covered.
If you don’t want to see a black screen while streaming Netflix on Discord, you should turn off hardware acceleration in your browser. We have included steps to disable hardware acceleration in three popular browsers: Google Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. You can follow the steps depending on the browser you choose. If you are using a browser that we have not mentioned here, go to your Settings and look for hardware acceleration and disable the toggle.
Note: This method doesn’t work in Safari for Mac because, starting with macOS Catalina, you can now manually turn hardware acceleration on or off. You will then see a black screen when you try to stream Netflix in Safari for Mac.
Disable hardware acceleration in Google Chrome
1. Open Chrome, click on the vertical three-dot menu in the upper right corner and select “Settings”.
2. Go to the “System” tab on the left sidebar in the “Advanced” settings and disable the switch that says “Use hardware acceleration when available.” Restart Chrome after disabling the toggle.
Disable hardware acceleration in Microsoft Edge
1. Open Edge and go to “Settings” by clicking the horizontal three-dot menu in the upper right corner.
2. Switch to the “System” tab on the left sidebar and disable the “Use hardware acceleration when available” option. Once done, restart the browser to stream Netflix on Discord without black screen issues.
Disable hardware acceleration in Firefox
1. If you are using Firefox, click on the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner and select “Settings”.
2. Scroll down until you find the Section “Performance” in the “General” tab. Here you will find a check box that says “Use recommended performance settings.” Uncheck it and you will see another checkbox to disable hardware acceleration. Uncheck the “Use hardware acceleration when available” check box too.
3. Play Netflix and set up Discord
Now that you’ve disabled hardware acceleration, you’re ready to stream Netflix for friends on Discord. Follow the steps below to get started:
1. Open Netflix and keep your favorite Netflix movie or TV series ready to play. Once you’ve done this, minimize the tab and open the Discord app.
2. In the Discord app, click on the “Settings” icon next to your username in the lower left corner.
3. From the Settings page, go to the tab “Activity status” from the left sidebar and click “Add!” button next to “Can’t see your game?”
4. You will now see a list of applications running in the background. Choose the browser window with Netflix and click the “Add Game” button.
5. Now navigate to the server where you would like to stream the movie or TV show and click the “Broadcast” button present above your username. Alternatively, you can join a voice channel, click the “Share Screen” button at the bottom left, and select the browser you are using to stream Netflix.
6. Choose the voice channel you would like to host the movie on and set the resolution. If you don’t have Discord Nitro, the maximum resolution you can stream is 720p at 30fps. To stream Netflix at 1080p / 60fps, you will need a Discord Nitro subscription.
7. Once you have chosen the channel and the quality of the transmission, click the “Go Live” button to start streaming.
8. And that’s it. Server members can now click on the “Live” label in the voice channel and join your party of watching Netflix on Discord.
9. When you want to end the observing party, click the “End call” button from the left sidebar.
Q. Why is my screen black while streaming Netflix on Discord?
Getting a black screen while streaming Netflix on Discord is one of the most common problems. You can fix the Netflix black screen problem by disabling hardware acceleration in your web browser. The steps for each individual browser can be found above.
Q. Is it legal to stream Netflix on Discord?
Q. Can I stream Netflix on Discord from a mobile device?
No, you cannot stream Netflix on Discord from a mobile device due to DRM limitations.
Watch Netflix shows with friends on Discord
So, this is how you can stream Netflix on Discord. It’s a straightforward process once you get past the slight inconvenience of disabling hardware acceleration. The payoff, however, is that you can have a fun movie night with friends, and it’s well worth it. If you’re looking for other options for watching movies together with friends online, check out our linked guide. We also have a separate guide on how to set up an Amazon Prime Video viewing party, so be sure to check that if Prime Video is your preferred streaming platform.