One of the features that has drawn social media users to Snapchat is automatic message deletion. By design, all messages sent through the platform are deleted as soon as the sender and receiver leave the chat. This significantly alleviates privacy concerns and can help your friends enjoy their most private moments without leaving a huge fingerprint.
However, there are times when you may want to get back those old messages. It could be a memorable chat with a loved one, a client’s contact details, or even information that could be helpful in legal matters.
So how can you get back those old messages? In this guide, we will show you how to recover deleted messages on Snapchat.
Why is it harder to retrieve messages on Snapchat?
Snapchat has been at the forefront of giving social media users more control over the content they send, including text, photos, and videos. The platform is one of the few social media platforms that uses ephemeral messaging. But what is that?
Ephemeral messaging is a type of chat or conversation that is self-destructive. Messages are automatically deleted after the recipient has opened and viewed them.
With ephemeral messaging, you can control how long a message will last in someone’s inbox, a feature that ordinary text or chat programs hardly offer. It allows you to send out thoughts that you would otherwise keep to yourself if you knew they could stick around longer, and quite possibly come back to haunt you.
Plus, sending self-destructing messages means you can save storage space on your device. You won’t have to manually delete some items every few days to free up space and keep your device working optimally.
On the downside, ephemeral Snapchat messaging means you can lose valuable data as fast as you receive it. There may be messages that you want to keep longer. It can be anything from memorable photos, catchy text to work progress reports.
Although the Snapchat app does not offer a way to retrieve these messages from your chats, you can easily access any messages you have sent, thanks to a few solutions.
Let’s dive in and see how you can recover deleted messages based on the type of device you are using.
How to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages from Android Phone
If you own an Android device, you can easily recover deleted Snapchat messages in several ways:
Method 1: open your device’s cache
Before trying anything complex, you may want to use your Android’s built-in recovery tools.
Every time you close Snapchat or any other application on your phone, Android devices are programmed to immediately discard recent memory, and you will have to reload the application to run it once more. This can be time consuming if your data connection is not strong and could cause lag, screen freezing, hangs, power issues, and more. To avoid these problems, your phone caches some content for quick access.
The Android cache holds recently used or “hot” data that would otherwise require slow retrieval from a cluttered storage medium. It also stores infrequently accessed information close to the CPU, where it is most readily available for immediate access. Most importantly, your Snapchat messages are temporarily cached shortly after they have been deleted in your chats.
Here’s how to recover deleted messages from your device’s cache:
- Connect your Android device to a PC with a USB cable.
- Once your PC has recognized your device, open your device’s settings folder and navigate to “Android”.
- Click on “Data”.
- Look for a file called “com.Snapchat.android”
- Open the cache folder and select the messages that you would like to recover.
- Click “Recover”.
After following these steps, you will be able to retrieve your messages and view them without the usual restrictions. However, you can only retrieve the most recent messages with this method. Older cached data is discarded as time passes.
Method 2: use File Manager
If you don’t have a PC, you can still recover deleted messages from your phone’s internal memory. That’s how:
- Open File Manager on your device. If you don’t have File Manager installed on your device, you can easily get a copy from Google Play.
- Navigate to “Android”.
- Click on “Data”.
- Open the file called “com.snapchat.android”.
- Rename all files with the extension “.nomedia”.
- After renaming all the files, you should be able to open any file you want and view its messages.
Method 3: submit a data request with Snapchat
Snapchat understands that you may want to see some of your messages after they have been automatically deleted. Hence, they have set up a data recovery page where you can conveniently recover all kinds of data exchanged through your account, including photos, text, and videos.
Here’s how to use Snapchat data recovery to get your messages back as well:
- Visit the My Snapchat Details page and enter your credentials.
- After logging in, you should be automatically redirected to the “My Data” page, where you will be presented with a list of recoverable data items. Select the items you would like to recover.
- Tap “Submit Request.”
- After submitting a data request, Snapchat administrators will immediately dive into your files to get the data you have requested. You will then receive the data by email, usually in a compressed format.
- Once you have received the zip file, press and hold it and then select “Extract.”
- Navigate to the folder containing the extracted files and open a file called “Mydata”.
- Touch the “index.html” file. Now you will be able to see all your deleted Snapchat messages.
Method 4: using dedicated third-party recovery tools
If you don’t want to get your Snapchat messages back using the manual methods we’ve discussed, you’ll be pleased to know that there are third-party apps that can do all the work for you. Although there are several options to choose from, the Android Data Recovery Tool is highly recommended. Here’s how to use it:
- Download and install Android Data Recovery on your PC.
- Launch the software and click “Data Recovery”.
- Connect your Android device to your PC.
- Once the software detects your Android device, you should be able to see a list of the types of data that you want to recover on the screen.
- Check the box next to “Messages” and click “Next.”
- Click “Recover all files” and click “Next”.
- At this point, the software will scan your device for all deleted messages and then display all recoverable data. All you need to do is click the “Recover” button next to an item to get it back and save it on your computer.
Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages on iPhone
If you own an iPhone or any other device from the larger iOS family, you can easily recover deleted snapshots thanks to third-party tools. Although there are several alternatives, we will see two of the most popular applications: FoneLab and iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery.
Method 1: use FoneLab
FoneLab was first launched to help iPhone users recover their data from a dead or malfunctioning phone. It now offers a wider range of different services, including device repair, file backup services, and everything related to Apple devices.
Here’s how to use this tool to recover lost Snapchat messages:
- Download and install FoneLab on your PC.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC with a USB cable.
- Once the software detects your device, a “Start Scan” button will appear on your iPhone screen. Tap it to start the recovery process.
- Once the scan is complete, all recoverable items will be displayed on your screen. Select “Snapchat Messages.”
- Select the messages you would like to retrieve and then tap “Retrieve”.
- Choose the destination folder and then wait while the software retrieves your messages.
Method 2: using iBeesoft iPhone data Recovery
iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery is professional iOS data recovery software for all Apple mobile devices. It offers fast recovery of photos, messages, contacts, text notes, videos, and more. Here’s how to use the software to recover your snapshots:
- Download and install the software on your PC.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC with a USB cable.
- Once the software detects your device, the “Recover from iOS device” button will appear on your PC screen. Click on it to start the recovery process.
- Click “Scan” to confirm.
- Once the scan is complete, all recoverable items will be sorted into categories and displayed on your screen.
- Select “Snapchat Messages” and then click “Recover”.
- One of the best things about the iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery app is that it can also recover data from your iTunes or iCloud backups. You just have to select the desired font while starting the recovery process. For example, to recover items from your iTunes backups, simply click “Recover from iTunes” in step three above.
Retrieve your messages safely and securely
If you deleted a message on Snapchat and want to get it back, both built-in and third-party tools can help. That being said, it is important to choose a reliable tool that will not corrupt your messages or damage the rest of the data on your device.
Have you tried recovering your Snapchat messages using any of the methods discussed in this article? We would love to hear from you. Share your experience in the comment section below.