Aadhaar is one of the most commonly used documents as proof of identity and proof of address. In this regard, there is always concern about security breaches and personal data leaks. The UIDAI has made it possible to lock and unlock Aadhaar services online. The UIDAI provides a variety of Aadhaar services, including Verify Aadhaar, Verify Registered Mobile or e-Mail ID, Retrieve Aadhaar, Generate Virtual ID, Offline Aadhaar Verification, Aadhaar Linking Status, Authentication History, and others. The Aadhaar Lock and Unlock Service protects the confidentiality of the Aadhaar number and biometrics such as fingerprints and iris scans. Users can choose to temporarily lock their Aadhaar number biometric data to prevent others from using it. Similarly, if the need arises, users can reactivate their Aadhaar number and resume using it. The process of locking and unlocking the Aadhaar number is straightforward. There are some prerequisite steps that users must take before they can complete the lock and unlock process.
How to Lock Aadhaar Services?
- Visit UIDAI’s official website.
- Select ‘Aadhaar Lock and Unlock Services’ from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the Lock UID option.
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number.
- Enter your full name here.
- Enter the Pincode
- Enter the available security code
- Select ‘Send OTP’. Enter the OTP that was sent to your registered mobile number.
- You can now secure your Aadhaar services.
How to Unlock Aadhaar Services?
Mentioned below are the steps required to unlock Aadhaar services:
Visit UIDAI’s official website.
Select ‘Aadhaar Lock and Unlock Services’ from the drop-down menu.
Choose the Unlock UID option.
Enter your VID number here.
Enter the available security code
Select ‘Send OTP’. Enter the OTP that was sent to your registered mobile number.
You can now access your Aadhaar services.
Points to Consider Before Locking Aadhaar Service
- You will be unable to perform authentication using your Aadhaar number once you have locked your Aadhaar services. However, VID can be used for authentication.
- It should be ensured that the resident has the most recent VID. Residents can, however, retrieve their existing VID by texting ‘RVID Last 4 or 8 digits of UID’ to 1947.
- VID is required for UID Lock/Unlock.