When it comes to sharing snapshots of your daily life, there is no easier method than using Snapchat. While most photo sharing apps like Facebook and Instagram are about permanence and the ability to share and view content from any point in your life, Snapchat keeps things temporary. There is no news or way to see the content of months and years ago.
Rather than the usual formalities of social apps, everything on Snapchat is temporary, from the photos and videos you send directly to your friends to the Stories you upload to Snapchat that last just twenty-four hours before disappearing forever. Sure, you can save content to your Memories to view or send later, but that content remains visible only to you as your source of moments.
This sense of temporary posts and sharing makes Snapchat one of the most viable social networks for 2021, but unfortunately, you will need friends on Snapchat to make the platform as fun as any social network. Snapchat encourages great interaction with your ‘Friends’ list on the platform, from creating Snapchat streaks with your best friends by sending them a photo or video every day to using Bitmoji or sharing your location using the map feature within Snapchat. Also, you’ll want people to see the Stories you post, and likewise, you’ll want to see the Stories of your closest friends and family.
Whether you’re looking to find new friends, a specific person, or meet new people on Snapchat, it can be difficult to know where to look. Unlike Facebook, which makes it easy to find a person’s name, Snapchat uses usernames and other display names to hide real identities. If you are trying to find someone on Snapchat, you have come to the right place. Let’s dive into this guide on how to search for people within Snapchat.
Add friends you know
For most people, you probably want to add people you already know in real life, whether they are friends, family, or coworkers. The Snapchat developers have gone to great lengths to make it easy for users to add people. Regardless, it’s also confusing to add people, considering the number of options and options you have to add your friends to the platform.
Let’s count down all the methods on Snapchat so that no matter if you are in person or thousands of miles away, you can add all your friends on Snapchat without a hitch.
Add friends to Snapchat using Snapcode
If you are in the same place as your friends, Snapcode is the easiest way to exchange Snapchat information.
- Open the app, tap on your profile icon in the upper left corner of the screen and you will see your Snapcode, a special QR code style utility designed to help you meet new people.
- With this open, have the friend who wants to add you open Snapchat on their phone
- While in the camera viewfinder, hover over your Snapcode.
- Your code will automatically activate the ability to add you to Snapchat and you can accept their request from there.
When taking screenshots of someone’s Snapcode (via messaging app or sharing on social media), select the “Snapcode” tab from the “Add friends” option. From there, choose the screenshot with the Snapcode. You will automatically gain access to that person’s account, as if you traditionally scan the Snapcode.
Use Usernames to Add Friends to Snapchat
The profile page has another option that makes it easy for you to add each other: the “Add Friends” selection. This entire menu has a few options that we’ll need to detail here, but we’ll start with the most obvious one: typing your username in the box at the top of the page.
- On your profile page, tap “Add friends.”
- Type the person’s username in the box at the top of the page, then click or tap “Add.”
- Optional: If someone has added it again, you can quickly and easily approve it by clicking on the “He added me” option at the top of the page.
Use contacts to add friends to Snapchat
That same “Add Friends” page that we mentioned earlier has another tab for your contacts.
- Give Snapchat permission to access your contacts.
- You can see all the friends who have their phone number synced both in your contacts and on Snapchat.
- View your Android contacts on Snapchat and click “Add” next to the ones you want to add as friends. Those with a Snapchat account will show up on the list.
Use links to add friends to Snapchat
- Make sure Snapchat has permission to access your Android or iOS contacts.
- Go to your profile page on Snapchat.
- Click on the “Share” within your account, which is to the right of “Bitmoji” and “Trophies”.
- Please select “Share username” to send a message, tweet, or Facebook post inviting people to add it to Snapchat.
Selecting “Share Snapcode” does the same, but gives you a photo of your Snapcode instead of the link, allowing people to add it quickly using the methods described above. Similarly, people can send you the same message, allowing you to click the link or scan the Snapcode to add them if they choose to share their account with you via the above methods.
Add friends on Snapchat using suggested friends
Do you remember the first page of the “Add Friends” option? There’s a list of “Quick Add” suggestions below this, giving you a list of suggested people you can meet based on mutual friends, location, and more. Hit the “Quick Add” button to add them, and it will automatically send a request to add them on Snapchat without much effort.
- Make sure Snapchat has permission to access your contacts.
- Go “Add friends” from your profile page.
- In the “Quick Adds” tips, which gives you a list of suggested people you can meet based on mutual friends, location, and more, click “Add” next to anyone you want to add to Snapchat.
- Snapchat will automatically send a request to add them on Snapchat on your behalf without much effort.
Add people you don’t know to Snapchat using Reddit
Although far fewer people are likely to use this, it’s worth noting that you can add people you don’t know in real life via Snapchat just by looking in the right place. Whether you’re looking to build your friends list or just looking to add people you’ve met in online communities, this is where to look for new friends on Snapchat.
You might think that the Snapchat subreddit is to discuss Snapchat news and updates, along with any issues within the app. However, r / Snapchat is a community dedicated to helping Snapchat users of all stripes find and meet new friends to talk to on the platform. Just be careful.
- Go to Snapchat Reddit (r / Snapchat).
- Before posting, keep in mind the current rules that can change at any time, although this is rare.
- Per the Snapchat Reddit rules, post your age (23 for example), then your gender plus the requested gender (F4A, F4F, M4F, M4M, etc.), then a purpose title. Lastly, write a short description that says what you want.
- The Subreddit bot automatically makes it easy for people to send you direct messages on Reddit to exchange usernames or Snap codes.
The general concept is simple: you make a post that describes your age, target audience, and intentions, and then the subreddit bot automatically makes it easy for people to send you direct messages to exchange usernames or Snapcodes. The Snapchat subreddit does not allow unsafe content at work (NSFW), although there are other communities you may find that allow just that.
Add people you don’t know to Snapchat using website communities
While we recommend Reddit as the go-to place to meet new people on Snapchat, we must admit that finding others through websites like AddMeSnaps is an option, especially if you are unfamiliar with or unable to use Reddit. Here’s how to use AddMeSnaps.
- Go to AddMeSnaps in any browser.
- Complete each section of the form: “Snapchat username” “Get older,” “Y “Gender.” Click or tap on “+ Add Me!”
- A new form appears along with a list based on your age and gender. To find better matches, use the form above the list to base the results on “Gender”, “Age” and “Country”.
- Click or tap on any “username” you want to add as a friend.
- Follow the instructions to start the friendship process. On mobile phones, it will display “Open with” options that include Snapchat.
The tool is very simplistic and does not provide much information at all. AddMeSnaps is best used for people to find connections or other adventures through Snapchat or to find a quick friend to talk to, but the option is there if you want. Remember to be careful when connecting with users online, What you never know who might be on the other end of a connection with you.
Finally, Snapchat makes it easy to connect with friends, family, and strangers alike. Thanks to many methods and options for connecting with people near and far, it is easy to find a close person, connect with them through Snapchat, and become friends automatically. Let us know how you connect with friends on Snapchat in the comments below!
Frequently asked questions on how to find and add Snapchat friends
Does Snapchat notify people when I add them?
Yes. When you do one of the above methods, the other user will get a notification that you’ve added it. However, Snapchat will not notify another user if you delete them.
Can I see if someone is “taking photos” of someone else’s posts?
Snapchat does not inform you directly about the activities of others. But, if the two of you are friends on the app, there are ways to tell if the person is actively capturing others’ posts. The Snapchat Score / Snapscore (a number located in the users profile) increases with each snap, among other factors. If the number seems to be increasing and the other person is not taking your posts, chances are they are taking someone else’s. Another way to see if your Snapchat friend is taking photos of someone else is if your emoji changes. Snapchat uses best friend emojis that appear automatically with instant stripes. If you have the heart emoji and it disappears, your friend is probably taking someone other than you.