For those who love having endless options for stickers and filters, Snapchat is probably the best social media platform available. It’s incredibly interactive and everything about it encourages creativity and outreach to friends, and it’s engaging.
One of the ways it helps you connect with others is by allowing you to add a location and use a specific geofilter. It’s a fast and efficient way to let your friends know where you are or where you have been.
However, if you’re not a smart Snapchat user yet, figuring out where the location tag is can get confusing. Don’t worry, we’ll walk you through the process and show you some other tips along the way.
How to Add a Location to a Snapchat Post on the iPhone App
While some social media platforms, such as Instagram and TikTok, allow user access through the web browser, Snapchat is completely mobile-based.
If you are an iPhone user, make sure you always have the latest version of the iOS app installed to get the full Snapchat experience. That is always step number one before taking any action.
Once you’ve updated your Snapchat, follow these steps to add a location to a post:
- Open the Snapchat app on the iPhone and take a photo or video.
- Touch the sticky button on the right side of the screen. It’s a third button from the top of the screen.
- When the sticker drawer appears, tap the “Location” button.
- A list of available locations will appear and you can select one. If none of the location labels are accurate, you can use the search bar to find a specific location.
- The location tag will appear on your Snapchat photo or video. You can move it around the screen and change its appearance by touching the label.
When you add the location tag to your post, you can post the plugin as a story or send it to an individual friend. Both options are available at the bottom of the screen.
Keep in mind that Snapchat is always adding more locations and adjusting this feature, which has some range limitations.
How to Add a Location to a Snapchat Post on the Android App
A Snapchat location sticker comes in handy when you’re on the go or when you witness something exciting and you want everyone to know where it is.
It’s also a convenient way to tell people about a great restaurant or beach spot. So if you want to add the location in your Snapchat post and you are an Android user, this is how it works:
- Launch the Snapchat app on your Android device.
- On the right side of the screen, tap the label button.
- Once the sticker drawer appears, choose the “Location” button at the top of the screen.
- From the list of available locations, choose the one that most accurately describes your whereabouts. Alternatively, search for a different location by entering it in the search bar.
- You will see the location tag on your Snapchat post instantly. You can move it wherever you want on the screen and change its appearance.
If the Snapchat post shows your chosen location, click the “Story” or “Send to” option at the bottom of the screen.
NoteTo ensure you always have the most accurate locations on Snapchat, make sure you are using the latest version of the app.
How to Add a Location Filter to a Snapchat Post on the iPhone App
A location filter or geofilter on Snapchat is a more interactive and creative way to add a location to Snapchat. Essentially, once you take a photo or video, you can search for available location filters and add them to your post.
Snapchat is well known for the variety of filters it offers, so it’s no wonder geofilters are huge in the app. Before you snap your friend or post a story, you can choose the overlay layout that describes your location.
Note that some locations will have more filter options than others. For example, you can find many location filters in certain New York tourist spots, but almost none in a lesser-known location. So if you want to add a location filter using your iPhone, here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Snapchat app and create a photo or video.
- Start sliding your finger left or right across the screen and watch the filters change.
- When you find a location filter you like, stop swiping.
- Continue customizing your Snapchat post.
Once you have the location filter you like and are ready to share it, post the plugin to your story or send it directly to a friend.
How to Add a Location Filter to a Snapchat Post in the Android App
The Snapchat app on Android works in exactly the same way as it does on iPhone. Then. If you have an Android device and you want to add a location filter to your plugin, follow these steps:
- Launch the Snapchat app on your Android phone.
- Take a photo or video.
- Start sliding your finger left or right across the screen.
- When you find the location filter that speaks to you, stop swiping.
From there, keep adding stickers or customize the app in other ways. Finally, send the snap to your friends or share it on your Snapchat story.
Note that some geofilters will offer specific locations such as shops, restaurants, and other businesses. This is because many companies have taken advantage of this feature on Snapchat and created fun and personalized location filters for their customers.
How to add a location to a Snapchat streak
One of the most popular features of Snapchat is stripes. Allow two friends to send snapshots to each other consecutively every day, and they can watch your snapshot streak grow.
The only way the streak works is if both friends participate equally and no more than 24 hours have passed from the time of the last plugin sent. For many avid Snapchat users, streaks are very important and they try to create record streaks.
Adding a location to a Snapchat stream is only possible if you add a location to each post. All you need to do is tap on the conversation you are having with a friend and do the following:
- Create a snapshot that you want to send them directly.
- Touch the sticky button on the left side of the screen.
- Then, tap on “Location” and choose one of the available options or search for the location you want.
The location tag will appear immediately in the plugin and you can send it to your friend. When they receive the plugin, they can tap on the location tag and learn a little about that specific location. It can be the area, address, and even workplace information like phone number and website.
Mastering the art of Snapchat locations
Snapchat encourages users to share their locations with those they trust to make communication even more entertaining. Sometimes adding a location to a direct snapshot with a friend is a quick way to let them know that you got home safely. Other times, it’s about letting everyone know that you’re visiting a cool place by posting the location in your story.
Snapchat’s location feature is great, but not without its flaws. There will be times when you will have to find the location manually rather than relying on its accuracy. Still, location stickers and filters are tremendously valuable and entertaining.
How would you use the location feature on Snapchat? Let us know in the comment section.